We have been actively involved in improving our environment and conserving our natural resources. Hardel has committed to reduction of the generation of wastes, protection of clean air and water, sustainable protection of the land, and the wise use of energy. We are committed to creating environmentally sustainable forms of economic progress.
Because preservation of our natural resources and the environment are a top priority, Hardel has developed a significant and effective Sustainable Growth Program. Building our business while we protect and conserve our natural resources can demonstrate our desire to be a good neighbor in the community. Through diligent efforts by our employees we have shown measurable environmental gains, millions of dollars saved and good expectation for tomorrow. We have accomplished the following:
- reduced landfill wastes by 250 tons per year by recycling boiler ash into soil conditioner
- committed to zero discharge of process waters to the WWTP by recycling glue wash waters and dryer wash waters, thereby saving hundreds of dollars in water treatment charges
- reduced the use of natural gas by improving our methods of collecting in-house generated woodwaste and burning woodwaste in the thermal fluid heater
- reduced landfill wastes by 500 tons per year by doing a better job of collecting all woodwaste generated in the plant
- reduced natural gas usage by purchasing a renewable resource, woodwaste, from outside vendors to supplement our existing fuel and burn in the thermal fluid heater
- maintained our use of renewable resource raw woods such as Hemlock and Douglas fir from sustained growth forests in the manufacturing of our plywoods to assure adequate supplies in the future.
- committed to a stringent recycling program for used oils, scrap metals, pallet boards, antifreeze, cleaning solvents, resins, and glues thereby reducing material in the waste stream.
We constantly look for ways to reduce usage of electricity and other energy sources throughout the plant. We strive to use wood fiber efficiently, reuse residuals wisely and find ways to recycle. Working with regulatory agencies, local, state, and federal governments, our goal is to develop business solutions that are good for our community and for the environment.